Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup whole-wheat angel hair pasta, broken into 1-inch pieces
- 4 cups almond milk
- 1/2 cup unrefined cane sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, use a mix or any one of these-- pistachios, cashews, walnuts and almonds
- 1/4 cups golden raisins
- 2-3 drops of pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp powdered cardamom seeds
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
Heat 1 tsp of oil and add the broken pasta pieces. Roast over a medium flame, stirring frequently, until the pasta gets lightly golden-brown and is evenly toasted. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Heat the remaining teaspoon of oil and then add the cardamom, nuts and raisins. Roast them, stirring frequently, about three to four minutes or until the nuts are lightly golden.
Add the almond milk and then the roasted pasta.
Give everything a good stir, bring the mixture to a boil, and let it cook about five minutes.
Add the sugar and the vanilla extract and let the payasam cook another 10 minutes or until it thickens noticeably and the pasta is very tender.
Turn off the heat and serve the payasam warm or chilled. It is delicious either way.
Tip: The Kheer thickens as it stands, so thin it out, if needed, with some almond milk before serving.
Calories: 157kcal | Protein: 3.7g | Fiber: 1.2g