Garlicky Pasta with Broccoli and Beans
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 pound wholegrain spaghetti, broken into two-inch pieces and cooked according to package instructions until al dente.
- 1 bulb of garlic, about 12 cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup dry navy beans or 3 cups canned. If you're using dry navy beans,cover with a couple of inches of water, bring to a boil, cover the pot, and let the beans simmer 1-2 hours or until tender.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into slim florets
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- Lots of ground black pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 packed cup parsley, minced
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the onions and garlic along with a good pinch of salt and some ground black pepper. Saute until the onions turn soft and translucent, about 8 minutes over medium heat.
Add the red pepper flakes, stir in, and then add the broccoli florets.
Cook, stirring frequently, no more than five minutes or as long as it takes for the broccoli to turn just slightly tender. It should still have a good bite.
Add the pasta and beans to the saucepan along with some salt and more ground black pepper. Mix everything together. Add 1/2 cup of the pasta water to make a little sauce.
Add the parsley and lemon juice and stir to mix.
Calories: 328kcal | Protein: 15.8g | Fiber: 7.9g