Italian Wild Rice and Asparagus Soup
A simple and easy weeknight meal for a one-pot Italian Wild Rice Soup with asparagus, leeks and chickpeas. Clean, healthy, and gluten-free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 40 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 6 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 15 stalks of asparagus, hard ends trimmed. Cut the asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 leeks, washed thoroughly and green and white parts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup wild rice, can substitute with brown rice
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling
Place the oil and garlic in a large pot over medium heat. Let the garlic cook, stirring often, until the garlic becomes lightly golden.
Add the potatoes and let them cook for about five minutes, stirring ever so often, until they begin to lightly color.
Add the leeks, red pepper flakes, season with salt and ground black pepper, add the sage, and the add 10 cups of water or vegetable stock to the pot.
Add the asparagus and the wild rice. Bring the soup to a boil, then lower heat until the pot is gently boiling and let the soup cook, uncovered, for about an hour. If the soup gets too dry (it shouldn't with this much water) add some more water.
Add the chickpeas and more salt and black pepper, if desired. Ladle into bowls and drizzle on some EVOO-- it's really worth the few additional calories, trust me, and olive oil is actually good for you.
Serve hot with a crusty Italian bread or by itself. This soup is a one-pot meal.
Calories: 244kcal | Protein: 10.4g | Fat: 3.5g | Fiber: 9.1g