Brown Rice Salad with Dill
This protein-packed vegan Brown Rice Salad comes together with the amazing textures of green beans, mushrooms and lima beans. All of it is dressed with a delicately flavored orange-cashew dressing. Gluten-free and soy-free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 3/4 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 cups green beans or haricot vert, cut into one-inch pieces. You can use frozen.
- 1 cup button or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups frozen or canned lima beans (use any other bean as a substitute. Chickpeas or red kidney beans would be great in this)
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup fresh dill, thick stems removed, leaves chopped
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Juice of one large orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 10 cashew nuts
- Salt to taste
Make the dressing:
Heat a skillet and add the coriander seeds and cumin seeds. Dry-roast for about two minutes over medium-high heat until they start to turn color. Remove to a blender.
Add to the blender the red pepper flakes, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, cashew nuts and salt and ground black pepper.
Blend until the dressing is smooth and creamy.
Make the rice:
In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions with some salt and ground black pepper. Saute over medium-high heat for about five minutes or until the onions are translucent but not turning color. Add the mushrooms, green beans and lima beans and mix well.
Let the vegetables cook about 5 minutes or until the beans are tender but not mushy.
Add the cooked brown rice, dill, and the salad dressing. Mix everything well together. Turn off heat.
Serve warm or cold.
Calories: 328kcal | Carbohydrates: 60.8g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5.6g | Potassium: 1180mg | Fiber: 9.3g | Sugar: 5.8g | Calcium: 220mg | Iron: 10.6mg