Moroccan Chickpea Burger
This Moroccan chickpea burger has it all: warm Harissa spices to add spark and sass, and delicious chickpeas and bulgur for flavor, texture and protein. Serve atop a wholegrain bun. Patty is soy-free, nut-free, gluten-free.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 6 burger patties
- For the burger patty:
- 2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained of all liquid and rinsed
- 1/3 cup bulgur or cracked wheat
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour or besan
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 tsp allspice powder (use a combination of cloves and cinnamon if you don't have this)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- To build the burger:
- 6 whole-wheat burger buns
- Tomato, onions, greens to top the burger
- Vegan mayonnaise mixed with some Harissa paste or adobo sauce
Cook the bulgur by placing it in a saucepan with salt to taste and 2/3rd of a cup of water, bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, slap on a lid, and let the bulgur cook 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Place the chickpeas in a large bowl and mash with a heavy ladle or potato masher. Leave some larger pieces in for some texture.
Add all of the other ingredients for making the burger patty, including the bulgur, and mix them well. You should have a mixture that holds together when you press it into a patty.
Make six patties, each about 2 1/2 to 3 inches in diameter.
Spray a nonstick griddle or cast-iron skillet with oil. Cook each patty for about 3 minutes on each side over medium-high heat or until charred and golden-brown.
To build your burger, cut each hamburger bun along the middle, and then slather on some vegan mayonnaise. Add greens, an onion ring, top with the burger and more veggies if desired, and serve.
Calories: 191kcal | Protein: 7.5g | Fiber: 8.7g