A spicy, tasty dish of mushrooms cooked in Indian pickling spices
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 pound mushrooms (I used cremini), cut into halves or quarters depending on their size. You want the pieces to be chunky and not too small. Keep in mind that mushrooms shrink when cooked.
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 1 tbsp coriander seed powder
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 large tomatoes , finely diced
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the nigella and fennel seeds and toast for about two minutes over medium-low heat until they release their distinct aroma.
Add the ginger and garlic and stir-fry quickly for 10-15 seconds. Add the tomatoes with all of their juices. Stir to mix.
Add the turmeric, coriander powder and cayenne and mix well. Let the tomatoes cook until they darken and shimmer, about 7-8 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and salt to taste. Stir to mix well and let the mushrooms cook for another 5-7 minutes until they are tender but not soggy.
Turn off the heat and stir in the coriander leaves.
Serve piping hot.