Sprouted Moong Chilla
(Makes about 15 pancakes)
- 1 cup dry mung (moong) beans, sprouted per directions above
- 1- inch knob of ginger, chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic
- 2 green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tbsp brown rice flour (optional, but makes the chillas extra-crispy. Use regular white rice flour if you can't find brown)
- 1 cup chopped coriander
- 1 large carrot, grated (use the side with the largest-size slots on your grater-- you don't want this to be too fine)
- Cooking oil spray
Place the mung beans in the blender along with the ginger, garlic, chillies and salt and blend until smooth, using just enough water to get a slightly-runnier-than-pancake-batter consistency. Add the flours and veggies and mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes and mix again.
Heat a cast-iron or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until water sprinkled on the surface skitters off and dries up immediately.
Spray on a thin coating of the oil and then place 1/2 cup of the batter in the center using a ladle with a rounded bottom. Use the bottom of the ladle to spread the batter into as thin a round as possible. This doesn't have to be crepe-like, but if you ladle it on too thick the inside might not cook through.
When the top looks dry and the edges turn brown, flip over and cook until golden-brown.