Pappardelle With Creamy Butternut Sauce
Pappardelle with Butternut Squash Sauce
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 pound pappardelle pasta (can use linguine or even smaller pastas like farfalle). Cook the pasta in salted water according to package instructions until al dente.
- 1 28- oz can of chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 20- ounce bag of frozen butternut squash cubes (use fresh, if you prefer. This would roughly equal one medium butternut squash. Your cook time could be a little longer).
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 5 cloves of garlic , minced
- 2 tsp crumbled dry sage
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil and some extra virgin olive oil for sprinkling
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 avocados , finely diced
- 2 heaped tablespoons of capers
Heat the oil in a saucepan and when it shimmers, add the onions and saute until they start to soften and brown a little, about five minutes.
Add the garlic, red pepper, black pepper and sage and stir to mix. Saute for another minute or two until the raw garlic smell disappears.
Add the cubes of butternut squash and cook, stirring, until the squash is really soft and breaks down.
Add salt to taste, let the mixture cool a little, then place in a blender with enough water to make a smooth puree (about 1 cup).
Blend the butternut squash into a silken puree.
Transfer the puree back to the saucepan and heat through.
Add the pasta, chickpeas, lemon juice, sunflower seeds and capers and toss together. Serve sprinkled with some diced avocado and a few drops of extra virgin olive oil.