Chewy Tofu in Apricot, Chipotle and Tamarind Sauce (Makes 4 servings)
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 172 kcal
- 1 block firm or extra-firm tofu. Press out most of the water by swaddling the block of tofu , then placing in a colander. Place a weight on it, like a saucepan, and leave alone for an hour for most of the water to drain out. Spray a baking pan lightly with some oil, place the tofu on it, and spray the top lightly with some oil. Bake in a 400-degree oven 30 minutes, then flip over and bake another 20 minutes. Let the tofu cool, then cut it into 3/4-inch cubes.
- 1 tsp olive or other vegetable oil
- 4 cups mushrooms , preferably mixed for more texture. I used cremini and shiitake. Chop them into fairly large chunks.
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3/4 cup dried apricots , sliced
- 1 recipe tamarind sauce (recipe below)
- 2 tsp sauce from a can of chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 2 tbsp apricot preserves
- For the Tamarind Sauce:
- 1 large lemon-size ball of tamarind soaked in 2 cups of boiling water for about half an hour. Strain out the solids and reserve the liquid.
- 1/2 cup piloncillo , grated (this unrefined sugar is separated at birth from jaggery a popular sweetener in Indian cooking). Use brown sugar if you don't have this.
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Salt to taste
Heat a saucepan and add the oil. Add the mushrooms, pepper and salt and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms start to caramelize and turn golden, about 10 minutes.
Add all the remaining ingredients-- the tofu, apricots, apricot preserve, tamarind sauce, and adobo sauce. Add 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes until the apricots are quite soft.
Add salt to taste. Serve hot.
Make the tamarind sauce:
Place the tamarind liquid, piloncillo, lime juice and salt in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until reduced by half. The liquid will be thick and syrupy.
Chewy Tofu In An Apricot, Chipotle and Tamarind Sauce: Vegan Mexican
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Dietary Fiber 3.4g 14%
Protein 6.4g 13%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.