Fat-Free Tomato Dal
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 1 cup tuvar dal (pigeon peas), boiled until really tender and mushy, preferably in a pressure cooker
- 2 large tomatoes , finely diced
- 1 large onion , finely diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 cup coriander leaves , chopped
- 1 tbsp sambar powder (since sambar powder is usually pre-roasted, you don't need to roast this first)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
Heat a skillet and add the turmeric to it. Roast it for just about 30 seconds, stirring, and then add 1/4 cup of water or vegetable stock.
When the water simmers, add the onion, ginger, and half the coriander leaves. Add a pinch of salt.
Saute the onions until they begin to turn translucent and get soft. Now add the tomatoes and the sambar powder and stir them well to mix. Cook, stirring, until the tomato's completely broken down. Add a tiny bit of water if necessary to help it along.
Add the cooked dal and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and let it cook about 10 minutes. Add water if the dal is too thick.
Turn off the heat and garnish with the remaining coriander leaves.
Nutrition estimate per serving: Calories 82.1, Total fat 0.4 grams, Dietary fiber 3 grams, Protein 4.3 grams, Sugar 0.1 grams
Calories: 82.1kcal | Protein: 4.3g | Fiber: 3g