Lemon Poppy Seed Cake With A Lemon Glaze
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
- For Lemon Poppyseed Bundt Cake:
- 2 2/3 cup unbleached cake flour (If you don't have cake flour, all-purpose would be okay but replace 5 tbsp of the all-purpose flour with cornflour. You can also make this with whole-wheat pastry flour but the crumb will be thicker.)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegan cane sugar or turbinado sugar
- 1 3/4 cup almond milk or soymilk mixed with 2 tsp vinegar. Set aside five minutes to curdle.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds , lightly toasted in a skillet. Do this over medium heat and stir frequently. It should take no more than five minutes.
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of vegan "butter" like Earth Balance, at room temperature
- For Lemon Glaze:
- For the lemon glaze
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
Make the cake:
Cream together the sugar and "butter" in a stand mixer or hand mixer fitted with a wisk, until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bottom and sides of bowl a couple of times during the mixing.
Mix the lemon juice, zest, vanilla extract and almond milk.
Sift into a bowl the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder
Add the flour to the butter and sugar mixture in three batches, alternating with the almond milk mixture. Mix for 20 seconds after each addition, then scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything's integrated.
Add the poppy seeds and mix with a spatula to disperse them evenly through the batter.
Oil and flour a bundt cake pan. Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake in a preheated 350-degree oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out dry. Let the cake stand in the bundt pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then unmold. This cake unmolds easily, but if you need help run a knife lightly and carefully around the edges.
Make the glaze:
With a wisk, mix the lemon juice and sugar.
With a toothpick, make a few holes in the warm cake and then paint the glaze onto the cake using a pastry brush. You can even just pour it on. Add some lemon zest on top, if desired.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 275kcal | Protein: 2.5g | Fiber: 0.8g