Vegan Spinach Chicken Curry
This Vegan Spinach Chicken Curry is a verdant treat, nutritious with leafy spinach, nutty with almond paste and fragrant with spices.
- 1 10- oz package of frozen spinach , thawed in the microwave with a tablespoon of water. I just put the frozen block in a microwave-proof bowl with the water and zap it for five minutes. Puree in a blender and set aside.
- 1 package chicken substitute , like Gardein Scallopini, cut into cubes.
- 2 cups mushrooms (I used crimini but button or shiitake would be great too). Halve the mushrooms if they're small, and quarter if they're larger.
- 1 onion , minced
- 1 tbsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (cayenne for a big hit, paprika if you prefer your curries milder)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup of almonds , soaked in hot water for two hours, then pureed in a blender to a smooth paste with 1 cup water. (You can use pistachios which make this dish even more wonderful-- I didn't have any on hand this time. Cashews are also a good substitute)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
Heat oil in a skillet. Add the onions and saute until brown spots start to appear, about five minutes over medium heat.
Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute another minute.
Add the tomato puree and the powdered spices and saute until the tomato darkens and starts to express oil from the sides.
Add the mushrooms and saute until they start to soften, about 3-5 minutes.
Add the vegan chicken chunks and saute another three to four minutes.
Add the spinach puree and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often to prevent any sticking, until the spinach darkens and all the water has evaporated.
Add the almond paste and 1/2 to 1 cup water (depending on how thick you want your curry) and bring to a boil.
Add lemon juice and salt to taste and turn off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.
Calories: 128kcal | Protein: 10.5g | Fat: 5.8g | Fiber: 4.1g