Gobi Masala is a spicy, saucy dish of cauliflower flavored with tomatoes, cumin and garam masala.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 medium cauliflower , separated into florets. Boil water in a pot and drop the florets into it. Bring back to a boil and let the cauliflower cook for about three minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 1 large onion , ends lopped off, cut into half, then sliced into half-moons
- 2 medium tomatoes , diced
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder , like cayenne or paprika for a milder flavor
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala powder (use some Kolhapuri spice mix or tawa masala for a slightly different but delicious flavor)
- 2 tsp vegetable oil like canola
Heat oil in a skillet.
Add the cumin seeds and, when they sputter, add the onions and a little salt. Saute until the onions turn translucent, about five minutes.
Add the tomatoes and the powdered spices. Stir and let the tomatoes cook until they break down and start to express the oil.
Add the cauliflower florets and stir well. Cover and cook a few more minutes or until the cauliflower is al dente. You don't want it to turn soft and mushy. Season with some fresh chopped coriander leaves.
(Nutrition Facts Per Serving: Calories 93, Dietary Fiber 5.3 grams, Total fat 2.9 grams, Cholesterol 0 mg, Carbohydrates 15.8 grams, Potassium 707.6 mg, Protein 4.2 grams)