Leek And Potato Soup
Leek and Potato Soup
Servings: 4 hearty servings
- 1 leek , washed thoroughly, slit in half, then thinly sliced. Look within the leaves, because leeks have a way of concealing grit in their folds. And nothing spoils a soup faster than dirt.
- 2 medium russet potatoes , diced and then nuked in the microwave with 1/2 cup water for 5-7 minutes or until tender
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 5-6 cloves garlic , thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves and stems , chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup soymilk (optional, but recommended for extra creaminess)
Heat the oil in a saucepan.
Add the leeks and some salt and saute over medium-low heat until the leeks start to wilt.
Add the cilantro, garlic and pepper. Stir well and allow the leeks to cook until quite tender.
Add 3 cups of water, or enough to almost cover the leeks. Add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and simmer, around 2-3 minutes. Turn off the heat.
If you have an immersion blender, get it out and blitz the soup to a smooth puree right in the pot. If not, add it to a blender (not a food processor), in batches if needed, and blend.
Return the soup to the saucepan and warm through. Add the soymilk if using, and check for seasoning. Add more salt if needed.