African Sweet Potato-Peanut Stew
A delectable and super healthy African Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew. Serve with brown rice or bread.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tbsp low-salt soy sauce
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 2 small sweet potatoes , peeled and finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 2 small carrots , thinly sliced
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans or chickpeas , soaked overnight and cooked until tender. Alternatively use 1 can of chickpeas
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh herbs. I used mint , sage and marjoram, but you can go with cilantro or even basil would be great.
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 2 tsp curry powder (I used some Rajma masala I had on hand, but any curry powder would do for this)
Heat the soy sauce and water in a large saucepan.
Add the onions and sweet potatoes, mix well, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the onions are softened.
Add the carrots and bell pepper and cook another three to five minutes.
Add the tomatoes, water, beans with any liquid, herbs, peanut butter and curry powder.
Stir to mix, bring it to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are fork-tender.
Sprinkle more fresh herbs on top, and serve hot over brown rice.