Fat-free Black Bean Burgers
Fat-free black-bean burgers
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup dried black beans , soaked for a few hours and cooked until tender, then drained (you can skip the soaking if you use a pressure cooker). Substitute, if you like, with 2 1/2 cups of canned black beans, drained.
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour or chickpea flour or besan
- 1/2 cup rolled or instant oats
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 onion , chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (reduce, for less heat, or substitute with 1 chipotle chili in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 cup minced savory herbs (like sage, marjoram, oregano or thyme)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
Put all the ingredients into a food processor, and process until grainy and still very textured.
Heat a cast-iron or non-stick skillet and spray lightly with oil.
Form two-inch discs with the burger batter and drop them into the skillet. The batter will be a little runnier than you’d expect, but it will set and form into firm patties as the burger cooks.
Flip over when the underside is golden-brown, and cook on the other side about 3-4 minutes.