Vegan Fried Green Tomatoes
You can’t let summer go by without making these vegan Fried Green Tomatoes at least once. They are golden and crispy on the outside and they melt in your mouth. This recipe is also gluten-free, nut-free and soy-free.
Servings: 6 (approx)
- 2 large green tomatoes , cut into thick slices. Each tomato should yield roughly 6 slices. Sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and ground black pepper and set aside.
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch (cornstarch works as well. If you prefer to use flaxmeal instead, use 2 tbsp of flaxmeal instead of the tapioca starch)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk (can use vegetable stock instead)
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil (for frying)
In a shallow bowl large enough to hold the tomato slices, whisk the nondairy milk, tapioca starch (or flaxmeal), garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and salt and ground black pepper to taste. (If using flax, if the mixture gets too thick, thin out with more milk or stock)
Place the cornmeal in another shallow bowl.
Dredge each slice of tomato in the milk-starch mixture to coat it, and then in the cornmeal so the slice is coated on all sides.
Heat a nonstick or cast-iron skillet and coat the bottom with oil. Fry each slice of tomato for about five minutes on each side over medium-high heat, or until golden-brown. Flip over and cook the other side.
Remove to a dish lined with paper towels, and sprinkle with some more salt and pepper when hot, if desired. Serve hot.
Serving: 2slices | Calories: 125kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Potassium: 185mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 441IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg