Bhaji for Pav Bhaji
A delicious mixed-vegetable dish dish that makes up one half of the delicious Indian street snack, Pav Bhaji
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
- 1 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 large onion , cut in a small dice
- 1- inch piece of ginger , grated
- 2 green chillies , chopped
- Paste of 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tomatoes , diced
- 1 cup green peas , boiled and then mashed slightly
- 3 potatoes , boiled, peeled, and coarsely mashed (I like to leave a few pieces in for texture)
- 1/4 or a medium head of cauliflower , grated or chopped really fine
- 1 green bell pepper , seeded and cut into a small dice
- 2 tbsp Pav Bhaji masala
Heat the oil in a wide skillet.
Add the onions and saute, until golden spots appear.
Add the ginger and garlic and green chillies and saute another minute.
Add two of the three diced tomatoes and cook over medium-high heat until the oil begins to express itself, about 4 minutes.
Add the cauliflower, peas, potatoes and green bell pepper and stir together.
Add the remaining tomatoes, pav bhaji masala powder, salt and 1 1/2 cups water. Bring the mixture to a boil, turn down the heat, and simmer another 15 minutes or until the vegetables are really tender.
Very carefully, using a potato masher or the back of a ladle, mash the vegetables. I like to leave some texture in, so I don't overdo it, but you shouldn't have any very large pieces of vegetables in there.
Check salt before turning off heat.