A moist and tender Applesauce Cake
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time55 mins
Total Time1 hr 15 mins
Servings: 12 slices
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp of ground spices-- I used a combination of green cardamom seeds , cinnamon, all-spice and cloves. You can also add nutmeg, and vary the combination of spices per your taste.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup canola or other flavorless vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp egg replacer + 2 tbsp warm water.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup walnuts , lightly toasted (for 2 minutes in a microwave) and chopped
Sift the flour, baking soda and salt into a bowl and whisk in the spices
In another bowl, beat together the oil and the sugar for a minute.
Add the egg replace-water mixture to the bowl.
Add the applesauce and mix well.
Now add the flour and whisk together until just mixed. Don't overmix.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured standard loaf pan.
Bake 50-55 minutes in a 350-degree preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack for about 15 minutes, then run a knife around the edges, unmold, and continue to cool on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.
The cake, once baked, has a wonderfully rich brown color that sometimes makes some guests wonder whether it has chocolate in it.