This low-fat, vegan zucchini bread is moist and tender and delicious. It is also part whole wheat, making this a nutritious snack.
Servings: 2 loaves, 24 slices
Calories: 186 kcal
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp powdered cinnamon and cloves. You can also use one or the other.
- 1 cup lightly toasted and chopped pecans or walnuts
- Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl , mix together:
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal and 9 tbsp water
- Add and mix:
- 4 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- Then whisk in:
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups grated zucchini (about two small to medium zucchini)
Add the wet mixture to the dry, whisking it in 1/3rd of the flour at a time, until well mixed. Do not overmix because you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour.
Grease and flour two standard-size loaf pans. Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Place right-side-up on a rack to cool. This bread also tastes great slightly warm.
Vegan Zucchini Bread
Amount Per Serving (1 slice)
Calories 186 Calories from Fat 55
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6.1g 9%
Total Carbohydrates 31.4g 10%
Dietary Fiber 1.5g 6%
Protein 2.4g 5%
Vitamin A 1%
Vitamin C 5%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.