Vegan Zucchini Bread
This low-fat, vegan zucchini bread is moist and tender and delicious. It is also part whole wheat, making this a nutritious snack.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time1 hr
Total Time1 hr 20 mins
Servings: 2 loaves, 24 slices
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp powdered cinnamon and cloves. You can also use one or the other.
- 1 cup lightly toasted and chopped pecans or walnuts
- Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
- In another bowl , mix together:
- 3 tbsp flaxmeal and 9 tbsp water
- Add and mix:
- 4 tbsp canola or other vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- Then whisk in:
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups grated zucchini (about two small to medium zucchini)
Add the wet mixture to the dry, whisking it in 1/3rd of the flour at a time, until well mixed. Do not overmix because you don’t want to develop the gluten in the flour.
Grease and flour two standard-size loaf pans. Divide the batter equally between the two and smooth down the top.
Bake in a preheated 325-degree oven 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack about 15 minutes, then slide a knife around the edges to unmold. Place right-side-up on a rack to cool. This bread also tastes great slightly warm.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 186kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.4g | Protein: 2.4g | Fat: 6.1g | Fiber: 1.5g | Vitamin A: 1% | Vitamin C: 5% | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 6%