Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry
A spicy, creamy eggplant curry recipe
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 1 large eggplant , sliced crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli powder like cayenne or paprika
- 1 tsp coriander seeds , powdered
- 1 tsp cumin seeds , powdered
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds , powdered
- Juice of 1/2 lime or lemon
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 1 handful kasoori methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tsp mustard seeds , powdered
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
Slather the eggplant slices with salt, pepper and oil, and place on a baking sheet.
Place the baking sheet under the broiler and cook for four minutes until the slices are reddish-brown on top.
Flip over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes.
Cut the eggplant slices into quarters, add the turmeric, lemon juice, and chilli, fennel, coriander and cumin powders and mix well.
Heat the other tbsp of oil in a saucepan.
Add the onion and fry until lightly brown.Add the kasoori methi (or curry leaves) and stir for a couple of minutes.
Add the eggplant and cook, stirring, for about five minutes.
Add the coconut milk and warm through. Add the mustard powder and mix well. Add salt if needed.
Turn off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.
This tastes wonderful with some hot rotis, but it'd also be great with plain boiled rice.