Vegan Beef Stew
A bowl of belly-warming vegan "beef" stew is exactly what you need to beat the cold weather blues. This stew is savory with herbs and pepper and it has meaty TVP chunks, potatoes, carrots and celery for flavor and texture. A vegan, nut-free recipe.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 1/4 cups TVP chunks (soya chunks. You can also use soy curls)
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 2 tbsp mixed herbs (I use rosemary, sage and thyme)
- 1 - 2 tsp ground pepper (add more or less based on your own taste)
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 2 medium carrots (finely chopped, or use about 2 cups of baby carrots)
- 3 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 4 medium potatoes (cut in medium-sized chunks)
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock (or more, as needed. Use water is you don't have this)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari or liquid aminos)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp parsley (chopped, for garnish)
- 1 tbsp vegan butter (optional, but nice)
Immerse the TVP chunks in a bowl of hot water for 20 minutes. Drain, then add half the herbs, salt, flour and half the pepper. Toss to mix well.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a dutch oven or large pot and when hot, add the TVP chunks in batches and brown on all sides. Remove to a plate and set aside.
Add another tablespoon of oil to the same pot (don't worry about any floury bits stuck to the bottom as these will eventually come off and actually help develop the flavor of the stew).
Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic along with some salt and pepper. Saute, stirring frequently, until the onions have softened and are translucent, about 3-4 minutes over medium-low heat.
Add the wine to the pot along with the remaining herbs, and continue cooking until the wine has mostly evaporated.
Add the potatoes, stir to mix, then add 3 cups of vegetable stock and let it all come to a boil.
Add the TVP chunks back to the pot. Mix well and once the stew comes back to a boil, add the soy sauce, then cover the pot and let it cook over low heat for 20 minutes so all the flavors meld together and the veggie are thoroughly cooked. If the stew is too thick, you can add more vegetable stock.
Check seasoning before you turn off the heat and add more salt and pepper if needed. Stir in the vegan butter, if using.
Garnish with some parsley, if desired, and serve hot.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 769mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 3101IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 4mg