Beet Pilaf with Barley and Brown Rice
Cuisine: Indian fusion
- 1 cup brown rice + 1/4 cup barley , cooked(I put them together in the rice cooker and follow instructions for cooking 1 1/4 cups of brown rice)
- 2-3 medium-sized beets , skins scrubbed clean, then grated
- 1 10- ounce package of frozen chopped spinach , thawed (I just do this in a microwave which saves a LOT of time)
- 1 habanero pepper , finely chopped (replace with 2 or 3 of any other hot chili peppers if you don't have habanero. You need a good amount of heat, though, because it has to stand up to the sweetness of the beets and the robust flavor of the brown rice and barley.)
- 2 heaping tbsp sambar powder
- 1 onion , sliced thinly
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tomato , chopped
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp grated coconut , for garnish
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions, curry leaves and chili peppers and stir until the onions turn translucent but not brown.
Add the chopped tomato and sambar powder. Stir until the tomato turns mushy and expresses the oil.
Add the spinach, mix to coat with the spices, and then add the grated beets.
Add salt to taste.
Cover and cook for a few minutes until the beets are tender.
Now mix in the cooked rice and barley. Mix well.
Add the coconut and either mxi it into the rice or just leave on top as a garnish.
You can also add some coriander, if you like.
Serve hot with the Ginger-Lime Dal (recipe above).