Spicy Vegan 'Kheema' (Mince)
Vegan "Kheema", usually made with goat mince, but for this easy and tasty vegan version I use TVP.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup soya granules or textured vegetable protein (TVP), soaked in boiling water for at least 15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out the excess water.
- 1 tbsp canola or any vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 3 tomatoes , diced
- 1 cup carrots , cut into a very small dice
- 1 cup green peas (I used frozen)
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4-5 sprigs of mint , leaves removed from the stems, then chopped
- Grind into a fine powder in a coffee/spice grinder:
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 3 cardamom cloves
- 4 cloves
- 1 1- inch stick of cinnamon
- 2 red chillies
- 1 tbsp peppercorns (use less or skip if you don't want the kheema to be too spicy)
Heat the oil in a wide saucepan.
Add the ginger and garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant but don't let it burn.
On medium heat, add the spice powder and stir to toast, about a minute.
Add the carrots and stir for a minute.
Add the tomatoes and stir. Cook for a few minutes until the tomatoes are broken down and the juices have evaporated.
Add the peas, corn kernels and the textured vegetable protein. Add the salt.
Cook for about 15 more minutes, until all the flavors have blended.
Add the coconut milk, mix in, and turn off the heat. Add the mint and mix.
Serve hot with chapatis or rice.