Dal with Greens
A leafy, nutritious dal made with methi and spinach leaves and tomatoes.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 bunch Methi leaves , minced
- 1 bunch Spinach leaves , minced
- 1 small bunch coriander leaves , minced
- 1 cup yellow split peas (tuvar dal)
- 2 green chilies , slit
- 2 medium tomatoes , diced, or 1 14-oz can of diced tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- 6 large cloves garlic , minced
- 1 tbsp canola oil
In a pressure cooker or a large saucepan with a tight lid, combine the leafy greens, coriander, split peas, chilies and tomatoes. Add about 3 cups of water and salt to taste. Cook until the lentils are mushy and the greens are tender.
Mash the lentils and greens with the back of a ladle until well-mixed.
Heat canola oil.
Add garlic and saute for a minute until it starts to brown and you get the aroma of garlic. Add to the lentils and warm through. Check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Serve hot with brown rice pilaf.