Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn
With spicy hints of sage and jalapeno, and the sweetness of fresh corn in every bite, these Savory Cornmeal Muffins with Fresh Corn are the perfect breakfast or brunch food. Vegan, wholegrain, and soy-free.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 12 muffins
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour (can sub with half all purpose and half whole-wheat)
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 2 tbsp flax meal (not flax eggs, just the dry flax meal)
- 1 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels. If using frozen, thaw before use.
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh sage or rosemary
- 1 medium or 2 small jalapeno peppers. Deseed if you desire less heat. Minced.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and flax meal.
In a larger bowl, mix the milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside for a couple of minutes to curdle. Add the corn kernels, vegetable stock, oil, sage or rosemary, and peppers. Mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until everything's just moistened and there are no streaks of dry flour.
Spray or lightly oil a 12-cup muffin pan.
Divide the muffin batter into the cups of the muffin pan equally. If the tops are very uneven, smooth them a little with a spatula.
Place in the preheated oven and bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
Place on a rack to cook, unmold the muffins when the pan is cool enough to handle, and serve warm or at room temperature.