Vegan One-Pot Farfalle with Dandelion Greens
Wild dandelions, which grow plentifully here in the spring and summer, are the surprise ingredient in this One-Pot Farfalle with Dandelion Greens. Olives, walnuts, mushrooms, and white beans add layers of nutrition, texture, and flavor. Vegan and soy-free.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 12 oz farfalle or bowtie pasta
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic
- 20-25 leaves dandelion greens
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- A handful of garlic greens (optional)
- 1 tbsp Fresh sage, minced
- 2 14-oz cans white beans, drained
- 1 cup lightly toasted walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 cups kalamata olives, chopped
- 16 oz button or cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
Heat the oil in a saucepan large enough to hold the pasta and beans.
Add the garlic and when it sizzles and starts to turn color, add the dandelion greens and red pepper flakes. Stir to mix, cover, and let it cook about five minutes.
Add the mushrooms, sage and garlic greens with some salt and ground black pepper to taste. Saute for a couple of minutes.
Add the dry bowtie pasta and mix well. Add the vegetable stock and water. Check salt and bring to a boil.
Cover the pot and let the pasta cook for 8-10 minutes. Give the pasta a stir a couple of times during cooking so it does not clump. Turn off the heat when the pasta's al dente. You will still have some liquid at the bottom of the pan, but the pasta will absorb this as it stands.
Stir in the walnuts, if using, olives, white beans, and parsley. Squeeze in the lime juice.
Check salt. Let the pasta stand at least five minutes before serving.
-You can vary the vegetables used. Add green beans about five minutes into cooking the pasta, cover, and cook.
-If using baby potatoes, it would be a good idea to microwave them separately and then add, to ensure they are thoroughly cooked. This will not be a strictly one-pot meal, but the potatoes are delicious here.
-Halve some cherry tomatoes and mix them in at the very end, for a delightful presentation.