Jackfruit "Lamb" Tagine
A spicy, sweet, sour Jackfruit "Lamb" Tagine made with tender, young jackfruit, onions, apricots, raisins, and Moroccan spices. The recipe is soy-free, gluten-free and nut-free.
- 16 oz drained jackfruit in water or brine (don't use the one in syrup)
- 1 large onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated garlic
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp cayenne or red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water
- 1 1-inch stick cinnamon
- 1/2 cup dry apricots
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 2 cups canned or cooked chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tsp ras el hanout spice mix (recipe on my DIY spice mixes page). See notes below recipe for link.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Mix the garlic, ginger, turmeric, paprika, salt and cumin powder. Dredge the jackfruit slices in it and set aside.
Heat the oil in a wide, oven-safe saucepan. Add the onions with some salt and saute until they soften.
Add the tomato paste and stir. Cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the jackfruit slices with all the spices they were marinated in, and let the jackfruit cook with the onions over medium-high heat, about 10 minutes, until it starts to brown. Stir frequently.
Add 3 cups of stock or water. You should have enough to almost cover the jackfruit. Add the apricots, raisins, and cayenne or red pepper flakes. Add the cinnamon stick and the chickpeas. Stir well and bring to a boil.
Cover the saucepan with a tight-fitting lid, and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
After 25 minutes, lower the heat to 350 degrees and cook for another 30 minutes. Check while baking and add the remaining stock or water if the stew looks too dry.
Remove from the oven and carefully open. Stir in the ras el hanout. Check the tagine for salt and add more if needed.
Garnish with parsley, and serve with couscous.
- Ras el Hanout recipe here.
- To make this recipe fat-free and in a slow cooker, mix all the ingredients in a crockpot and cook for three to four hours on high, checking the water level occasionally, and adding more if it dries up. Leave out the oil.
Calories: 274kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 9gFat: 4.2gPotassium: 596mgFiber: 11.8gVitamin A: 550IUVitamin C: 11.6mgCalcium: 130mgIron: 4.5mg
Let us know! Or post a photo on Instagram and tag @HolyCowVegan