Vegan Indian-Style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas
Try this refreshingly different Indian-style Potato Salad with Turmeric and Green Peas, for a vibrant take on an old favorite. The dressing sparkles on your tastebuds and is made of ginger, turmeric, mustard seeds, and coconut milk. This is a vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free recipe.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 10 servings
- 2 pounds baby red or yellow potatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1/3 cup canned coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 3-4 spring onions or scallions, green and white parts chopped. Can substitute with cilantro or coriander leaves.
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
Place potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover by an inch. Bring the water to a boil, cover with the lid, lower the heat, and cook another 10 minutes or until a knife pierced in the center of the potato goes in cleanly.
Drain the potatoes immediately and set aside. Place the frozen peas in the warm pot you cooked the potatoes in and cover. This should be enough to warm them without overcooking them.
To make the dressing, heat the oil in a small saucepan. Add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the turmeric, red pepper flakes, and ginger. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then turn off heat. Let it cool for a few minutes, then stir in the coconut milk.
Halve the potatoes and place in a large bowl. Add in the green peas, the turmeric-coconut dressing, and the spring onions. Squeeze in the lemon juice. Add salt to taste and toss everything together.
Serve warm or cold.
- Serve this potato salad with this vegan Tandoori Burger or Chana Masala Burger for an Indian-themed meal.
- Add grated carrots for more veggie punch.
- If you use large potatoes, you may need more time on the stove to get them fully cooked. Be sure to do the knife test. Proceed with the rest of the recipe.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 15.3g | Protein: 3.6g | Fat: 3.7g | Potassium: 467mg | Fiber: 3.6g | Vitamin A: 8% | Vitamin C: 31% | Calcium: 3% | Iron: 20%