Vegan Puff Pastry Pizza with Kale Pesto and Asparagus
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed (storebought is good, but see recipe notes for link to make your own)
- 10-15 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 12 asparagus spears, tough ends trimmed, then cut in half
For Kale Pesto:
- 8 leaves kale, trimmed of tough stems and thoroughly washed (I used Lacinato or Tuscan kale, but any variety is fine)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, lightly roasted
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional -- I didn't use any this time)
- Salt to taste
Make kale pesto:
Bring a pot of water to boil. Add the kale leaves, press them down, and cover. Let the leaves cook for two minutes, then immediately strain out the water. Dry the leaves as thoroughly as possible with a kitchen towel, and place them in the food processor.
Add the rest of the pesto ingredients to the food processor and process into a coarse paste.
Assemble the pizza:
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Roll out the puff pastry on a lightly floured surface to an approximately 9 X 12 inch rectangle. Transfer to a baking sheet.
Fold over the edges of the puff pastry once, to create a 1/2-inch border.
Smear on the pesto in a thin layer. Then arrange the asparagus stalks and cherry tomatoes on the pizza.
Place in the hot oven for 20 minutes or until the edges of the pastry are golden and crackling.
Remove from the oven, cut and serve.
Calories: 273kcal | Carbohydrates: 31.4g | Protein: 9.8g | Fat: 15.1g | Potassium: 1541mg | Fiber: 8.9g | Vitamin A: 20500IU | Vitamin C: 176.6mg | Calcium: 110mg | Iron: 4.1mg