Chipotle Vegan Burritos with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
These Chipotle Vegan Burritos pack a one-two protein and fiber punch, with a filling of vegan sausage and tempeh. All of this healthy goodness is complemented by a salsa of fresh vegetables. Dip the burritos in a cheesy red pepper sauce for even more deliciousness at breakfast or lunch.
Servings: 10 burritos
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup coriander or cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms
- 1 12.5 oz package Field Roast chipotle sausage, remove from plastic casing and crumble with your fingers or chop finely with a knife (Another brand is perfectly fine-- Trader Joe's has a great-tasting vegan chipotle sausage)
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, crumbled
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- 10 whole wheat burritos
For zucchini-tomato salsa:
- 1 medium zucchini, finely diced
- 1 lage tomato, deseeded and finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 jalapeno or other green pepper, deseeded if you want less heat, and minced
- Salt to taste
For roasted red pepper sauce:
To make the sausage-tempeh stuffing, heat the oil in a wok or a large skillet. Add the onions, garlic and cilantro and saute until the onions start to brown.
Add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until the mushrooms loose all moisture.
Add the chipotle sausage and the tempeh and continue to stir-fry about five minutes more. Check salt and add more if needed.
Make the roasted red pepper sauce:
Assemble the burrito:
To assemble the burrito, place some of the sausage tempeh stuffing in the center and top with some salsa.
Gather up the sides of the burrito and then roll. I like wrapping one end in aluminum foil to make it easier for little hands to handle the burrito without dropping the filling.
Serve the roasted red pepper sauce on the side.