Corn Pakora Fritters, baked, no oil
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 16 fritters
- 2 cups corn kernels, use fresh or frozen. If using frozen, thaw first.
- 10 tbsp chickpea flour or besan
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, coarsely powdered
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp crushed kasoori methi (dry fenugreek leaves), optional
- Salt to taste
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Place all ingredients in a bowl and add enough water to make a thick batter (I used about 2/3rds of a cup of water.
Mix well with a whisk, making sure you incorporate all ingredients and there are no lumps of chickpea flour remaining.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Using a tablespoon measure, drop dollops of batter on the baking sheet, about 1/2 inch apart.
Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, flipping over once halfway through baking.
If doing this in a pan, use a good nonstick skillet or, if using a cast iron pan, spray lightly with cooking spray. Proceed to drop dollops of the batter 1/2 inch apart on the pan. Cook until the edges start to turn golden and dry, then flip and cook a couple minutes more.
- You can tweak this recipe to work with most veggies, including leafies. Substitute the corn with an equal amount of finely chopped veggies (onions are great too) and proceed with the rest of the recipe.
- Pakoras are a great snack on their own or with some green chutney. But in India they are also served as a side with a traditional meal of rice, dal and sabzi.
Serving: 1pakora | Calories: 60kcal | Protein: 2.5g | Fiber: 2.2g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 1.3mg