Cauliflower Tempeh Masala Tacos
Made with no oil, these Cauliflower Tempeh Masala Tacos are packed wall to wall with healthfulness. The cauliflower tempeh masala is spicy, tangy and delicious. Serve it on a wholegrain taco with leafy greens, avocados, onions and a green coriander chutney for even more yumminess. This 30-minute recipe is vegan and nut-free and the cauliflower tempeh masala is gluten-free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 tbsp + 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 medium head cauliflower, separated into florets
- 1 large roasted red pepper or 2 guajillo peppers or 6 Kashmiri peppers
- 4 cloves garlic
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Coriander for garnish
For coriander chutney (optional)
- 1/2 cup canned coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coriander and/or mint leaves
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 serrano or jalapeno pepper, deseeded
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 12 wholegrain tacos
- Greens like spinach, arugula, or a spring mix
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 small onion, cut into half-moons
- Coriander chutney (see recipe notes for link)
Crush the garlic cloves, skin on, and roast on a hot skillet, turning over once or twice, until fragrant, about two minutes. Remove the skins and place the garlic in a blender along with the roasted red pepper or chili peppers and 1/2 cup of stock. Blend and reserve.
Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of stock in a wok or large skillet. Add the turmeric and then the cauliflower. Season with some salt and pepper, cover, and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the cauliflower is bite-tender. Add the tempeh cubes and stir to mix.
Add the red-pepper-garlic paste to the wok and stir-fry another 5-8 minutes over high heat or until the vegetables and tempeh are well-coated and there is no liquid left in the wok. Squeeze in the lime juice and stir in coriander, if using. Turn off the heat.
If making the chutney, place all ingredients for the chutney in a blender and blend until smooth.
To serve, place some greens in each taco shell. Add the cauliflower tempeh masala, layer on some avocado and onions, and drizzle coriander chutney.
- This Cauliflower Tempeh Masala is a great accompaniment to dosas or even as a side with dal and rice.