Curried Tempeh Quinoa Breakfast Hash
Nothing says good morning like this colorful bowl of Curried Tempeh Quinoa Breakfast Hash. Sweet potatoes, white beans and pumpkin seeds add flavor, nutrition, and protein. An oil-free, gluten-free, nut-free recipe.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 approx. 15 oz can of white or other beans (sub with 1 1/2 cup cooked beans, if cooking beans from scratch)
- 1 8-oz package tempeh, cut into 1-cm cubes
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tsp dry basil leaves, or 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper (or use any hot sauce you love, like Sriracha)
- 2 level tbsp curry powder
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan or wok, add two tablespoons of water. Add the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper and saute, over medium-high heat, until the onions are translucent.
Add the sweet potatoes, cover, and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are cooked. Stir occasionally to ensure they are not sticking, and add more water if needed.
When the sweet potatoes are tender, add the cayenne, curry powder, basil, and stir to mix.
Add the quinoa, beans, and tempeh and stir well to mix. Warm through and serve. I like serving this with a drizzle of coconut-coriander chutney which adds a nice layer of flavor, but you can skip it. The hash is also delicious without it.