Vegan Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler
Master breakfast or brunch with this vegan Savory Spinach Potato Breakfast Cobbler. It's smoky, cheesy, and delicious, and the perfect way to start your day.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr 5 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5 medium red or yellow potatoes, boiled until tender, then sliced. No need to peel if using organic potatoes.
- 13 ounces (approx.) vegan sausage (Italian or chipotle flavors both work here. I have a preference for the chipotle)
- 1 12-oz package of frozen spinach, thawed
- 3/4 cup raw cashews
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh sage, minced, or 1 tsp dry sage
- 1/2 to 1 sheet puff pastry
Heat the oil in a skillet and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and saute until softened, about five minutes.
Add the vegan sausage and sage and saute another five minutes. Add the spinach and cook until the mixture is warmed through. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Place the cashews in a blender along with 1 1/2 cups water, onion powder, and nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper to taste. Blend until very smooth. If using a high-powered blender no need to soak the cashews, but otherwise soak cashews in water for at least 30 minutes.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Layer the potatoes at the bottom. Then layer on the sausage-spinach mixture.
Pour the cashew-yeast blend evenly over the sausage-spinach and potato layers.
Roll out the puff pastry sheet and cut out circles or any shape with a cookie cutter. Layer on top of the cobbler.
Bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes or until the puff pastry biscuits are golden-brown.
Let stand at least 15 minutes before serving.
*Use homemade biscuits instead of puff pastry to layer over your cobbler. Try my vegan buttermilk biscuits.
*If using beans instead of sausage, you might want to add some cayenne for more spice. Use three cups of white beans.
Calories: 314kcal | Carbohydrates: 34.4g | Protein: 16.1g | Fat: 13.9g | Potassium: 751mg | Fiber: 6.8g | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4.3mg