Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Dal
A delicious, piping hot Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Dal with just 10 minutes of prep time and no oil added. This dal fills up your home with the most appetizing fragrance as it cooks. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free recipe.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves or cilantro
- 1 cup French lentils (use brown lentils or the Indian masoor dal as a substitute, but avoid other Indian lentils because they won't cook easily in the slow cooker), washed
- 3 cups 1/2-inch butternut squash cubes I got pre-cut butternut squash cubes at my neighborhood mom-and-pop grocer's. If you need to cut a whole butternut squash, you will need to factor in another 5-10 minutes into your prep time.
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cashew yogurt* See recipe link in notes below
- 3 spring onions, green and white parts chopped, optional
Set your crockpot to high, and add the onions, ginger, garlic, and coriander leaves. Stir to mix, season with salt and ground black pepper, cover, and let it cook a little while you prep your other ingredients.
Add the butternut squash, potatoes, lentils, cayenne, turmeric and garam masala. Add three cups of water or vegetable stock. Stir well, season with salt, cover, and let it cook for two hours. Check once or twice and add another cup of water if needed. The dal will thicken up as it stands, so don't make it too dry.
Turn off the heat and stir in the cashew yogurt. Garnish with spring onions, if using.
Serve hot with roti or rice.
- See recipe for cashew yogurt here. You can also blend 2 tbsp of cashew nuts with 2 tbsp of water, and add the juice of 1/2 lemon, instead of the cashew yogurt.
Calories: 134kcal | Protein: 4.9g | Potassium: 528mg | Fiber: 4.7g | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.6mg