Mushrooms on Toast
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large portobello mushroom caps ,thinly sliced
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic ,smashed and sliced thinly
- 1/2 tsp dry thyme
- 1 tbsp soy sauce Tamari or liquid aminos are fine substitutes.
- 2 tbsp red wine (optional)
- 1/2 cup cashew milk (to keep this nut-free, use any nondairy milk like soy, rice or hemp)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 4 slices sourdough or other bread, toasted
- 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Heat the olive oil in a skillet. Add the garlic and thyme and toast until the garlic starts to turn golden.
Add the sliced mushrooms and season with a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Saute for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to brown.
Turn the heat to low and add the wine to deglaze the pan, Be careful when you add alcohol to any food because it is flammable. I usually turn the heat off, add the wine, and turn the heat back on.
Let the wine cook out, then add the soy sauce or tamari or liquid aminos, and the cashew milk. Stir well, check seasoning, turn off heat and ladle over the slices of toast. Sprinkle on the parsley.
Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 19.8g | Protein: 4.6g | Fat: 2.1g | Fiber: 1.1g | Sugar: 1.2g | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 2mg