Vegan Cabbage Chickpea Torta
This recipe for Vegan Cabbage Chickpea Torta -- a golden, delicious hand pie -- is a bit of a cheat, but it's oh so good. A savory but nutritious filling of chickpeas, cabbage and onions is stuffed inside a flaky pie crust and all of it is baked to perfection. You can make the pie crust yourself or use storebought. Puff pastry works too! A soy-free, nut-free, vegan recipe.
Servings: 8 tortas
- 2 pie crusts (use storebought-- try to find something that's not sweet, or make your own using the recipe in the notes below)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 small green or purple cabbage (finely shredded)
- 2 cups chickpeas (canned or cooked)
- 2 tbsp fresh sage (or any savory herb will do, like rosemary or thyme)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onions and garlic and saute, stirring frequently, until the onions caramelize.
Add the cabbage along with salt, ground black pepper, and sage. Cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and is quite soft.
Add the chickpeas and continue cooking another five minutes. Check seasoning and add more if needed. Turn off the heat and set aside.
Keep the pie crusts refrigerated until ready to use. I roll them out a bit more to make them easy to shape into hand pies. Cut each pie crust into four pieces. If you want to make semicircular pies, you can use a pizza cutter to cut into rounds.
Place about 3-4 tbsp of filling in the center. Use a brush or your finger to moisten the edges of the pie dough and fold over, pressing the edges to seal. Use a fork to crimp the edges and hold the seal.
Place the pies on a baking sheet (you can brush on some aquafaba -- chickpea brine -- on the tops for that gorgeous color) and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden.
Cool for a few minutes on a rack, then serve.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 39.8g | Protein: 7.9g | Fat: 17.4g | Potassium: 331mg | Fiber: 6.6g | Sugar: 5.5g | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3.1mg