Creamy Vegan Mushroom Gravy
This vegan Mushroom Gravy is thick, creamy, rich and it enhances just about any dish you pour it over, from mashed potatoes to meatballs to a meatless loaf. At your Thanksgiving table, it's sure to become a star. Vegan, nut-free, can be gluten-free.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots or 1 small red onion (finely minced)
- 2 cups crimini or baby portobello mushrooms (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour (use rice flour to make this gluten-free)
- 4 cups vegetable stock (use a low sodium or good homemade stock. My recipe is linked in the notes below.)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari)
- 1 tsp sage (or use rosemary)
- 2 tbsp cashew cream, optional (Make this by blitzing 1 tbsp raw cashews with 2 tbsp water)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Heat the oil and add the onions or shallots. Season with salt and ground black pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the onions caramelize and turn golden-brown.
Add the mushrooms with the apple cider vinegar and cook, stirring frequently, until the moisture has evaporated.
Add the flour and cook, stirring, 2-3 minutes, until the flour is completely absorbed by the veggies.
Add two cups of the stock, whisking as you add it, until you have a smooth sauce. Add the remaining stock, continuing to whisk.
Stir, add the soy sauce and sage, and continue to cook for another 15-20 minutes over high heat or until the gravy is reduced by almost half and is thick and creamy. Stir in the cashew cream if using
Turn off the heat and, at this point, you can strain the sauce for serving. Or, if you'd rather, serve it as is. The bits of mushroom and onion in the gravy are delicious.
Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 4.7g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3.4g | Fiber: 0.2g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.5mg