Curried Carrot and Cherry Tomato Salad
A sparkling, summery Curried Indian Carrot Salad with cherry tomatoes and a tempering of curry leaves, mustard seeds and turmeric. Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and nut-free with just 36 calories per serving.
Servings: 6 servings
- 4 medium carrots (cut into 1/8th inch rounds. This is easily done in a food processor)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved or, if too big, quartered
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- A pinch asafetida (hing, optionl)
- 1 spring curry leaves (chopped -- while curry leaves are usually left whole, chopping them makes them easier to eat in this dish)
- 1/2 to 1 tsp red pepper flakes (use more or less according to your tolerance)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cilantro (finely chopped, for garnish)
Heat the oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds and asafetida, if using. Once the mustard crackles and sputters, add the curry leaves and stir-fry for a minute. Then lower the heat to the lowest setting and add the turmeric and red pepper flakes. (Whenever you do an Indian tempering, it's a good idea to have your vent fan on).
Quickly stir in the turmeric and red pepper and add in the carrots with salt to taste. Mix well and cover the skillet with a lid.
Cook five minutes or until the carrots are tender enough to your taste. Turn off the heat and stir in the cherry tomatoes. Check if you need more salt and add if necessary.
Spritz on the lemon juice and mix well. Garnish with cilantro, and serve.
Calories: 36kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 238mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 7108IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg