Vegan Tuscan White Bean Stew
A hearty vegan Tuscan White Bean Stew flecked with sun dried tomatoes and mushrooms. The perfect recipe to warm the belly on cold winter nights.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 cup dried white beans (like navy beans or cannellini beans or great northern beans. Soak for a few hours then pressure-cook or cook on the stovetop, covered with water, for an hour or as long as it takes to tenderize them. You can substitute with 3 cups canned white beans. Drain before using)
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion (finely minced)
- 1 large carrot (finely chopped)
- 2 sticks celery (finely chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms, sliced)
- 2 vegan Italian sausages (minced)
- 8-10 sun dried tomatoes (try to make sure you buy ones that are not oil-packed but are still quite juicy and tender. The dry, hard ones can be a little bitter)
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon oregano (if using dried oregano use 1 teaspoon)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon parsley finely chopped
Place the sundried tomatoes in a blender with the rosemary and oregano. Blend with ¼ cup of water into a coarse paste.
Heat the olive oil and add the onions, celery and carrots. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
Saute, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened but not turning color, about five minutes.
Add the red pepper flakes and garlic and stir-fry for a minute.
Add the mushrooms and saute about three to four minutes or until the mushrooms soften slightly.
Add the cooked beans and the sundried tomato-herb paste. Stir well to mix. Add water or vegetable stock to thin out the stew if it's too thick.
Bring the stew to a boil and let it simmer for about 10 minutes so all the flavors merge together.
Stir in the lemon juice and oregano and turn off the heat. Serve hot with some crusty bread or couscous.
Calories: 427kcal | Carbohydrates: 49g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 556mg | Potassium: 1747mg | Fiber: 14g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 3472IU | Vitamin C: 16mg | Calcium: 191mg | Iron: 7mg