Vegan Chocolate Orange Bundt Cake (whole wheat)
Rich, dark and intensely chocolate-y, this vegan Chocolate Orange Bundt cake is also whole-wheat and low-fat and it's sweetened naturally with maple syrup. On top goes a decadent, gooey chocolate-orange glaze.
Servings: 16 slices
For the cake:
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (can substitute with half whole wheat flour and half all-purpose flour)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder plus more for dusting the bundt pan
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ½ cups maple syrup (can substitute with any unrefined sugar, like turbinado or coconut palm sugar)
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
For the chocolate-orange glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2-3 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
Make the vegan chocolate orange cake
Prepare a bundt pan by spraying the sides and center tube with oil and dusting with cocoa powder. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
In another bowl, whisk together the maple syrup, orange juice, applesauce, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and fold together until mixed thoroughly. Be sure to scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to ensure you get all of the flour.
Pour the batter evenly into the bundt cake pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
Let the cake stand 10 minutes on a rack, then unmold and continue cooling on the rack.
Make the glaze
In a bowl, mix the confectioner's sugar and cocoa powder. Add 2 tablespoon of orange juice and whisk until it forms a smooth glaze. If it's too thick, add a little more orange juice.
Pour the glaze over the cake. Decorate the cake, if you wish, with some orange zest.
Calories: 214kcal | Carbohydrates: 49.5g | Protein: 3.1g | Fat: 4g | Potassium: 216.3mg | Fiber: 4.2g | Sugar: 27.4g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 21.5mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.3mg