Chickpea Quinoa Burger
A hearty, delicious, extremely healthy vegan chickpea quinoa burger patty loaded with chickpeas, quinoa, spinach and a few yummy seasonings. It is hefty enough to stand up to the summer grill but does just as well in a frying pan.
Prep Time15 minutes mins
Cook Time15 minutes mins
Total Time30 minutes mins
Diet: Gluten Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Servings: 8 burger patties
Add olive oil to a pan and saute the garlic and red pepper flakes for a few seconds until the garlic turns lightly blonde.
Add spinach and salt to taste, mix, and let it cook until it wilts down. Continue to cook a few more minutes until all visible moisture evaporates.
Place the spinach in a bowl with mashed chickpeas and cooked quinoa.
Add the seasonings--chili powder, ground cumin and oregano-- along with the chickpea flour. Mix until everything comes together. Add salt to taste.
Divide the mixture into eight portions and form each into a round patty. Heat a skillet or grill pan or the grill. Brush a bit of oil on it and wait until very hot before you carefully place the patties on it.
Grill the patties until char marks appear. For a cross-hatch pattern, rotate each patty at a 90-degree angle after a couple of minutes. Flip and cook the other side before serving.
- When cooking quinoa, add a few seasonings to it for great flavor. I usually throw in some oregano, salt and ground black pepper.
- For the best texture for the chickpeas, pulse them in the food processor 5-6 times. There should be some larger pieces for texture but no whole chickpeas left.
- Make sure there is absolutely no moisture left in the spinach when you add it to the chickpea burger mixture.
- Refrigerate: Refrigerate the cooked patties for up to three days.
- Freeze: Flash-freeze the burger patties before stacking them in a freezer-safe bag or container. Freeze for up to three months.
- Reheat: Reheat frozen patties on the grill or in a griddle.
Serving: 1burger patty | Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0.3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 323mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2297IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 56mg | Iron: 3mg