Pasta with Tunisian Spices
A vibrant Tunisian pasta flavored with harissa and carom seeds. This is a complete meal packed with proteins from chickpeas, and veggies like spinach and mushrooms. The sparkling flavors will dance on your tongue for a long time.
Servings: 10 servings
- 14 ounces orzo (another small pasta is also fine)
- 6 cups chickpeas (canned or cooked till tender)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 heaping tbsp minced garlic
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms (sliced)
- 5 cups spinach (or another quick-cooking green like Swiss chard)
- 1 large onion (minced)
- 1 large tomato (minced)
- 3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon carom seeds
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 2 heaping tbsp harissa paste
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
Cook the pasta per package directions. Drain.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil and add the onions and garlic
Add a pinch of salt and ground black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are softened.
Add the mushrooms, tomatoes and leafy greens along with all powdered spices.
Stir, until the mushrooms turn softer and the greens wilt.
Add the cooked pasta, chickpeas and harissa to the pot. Stir everything well together to mix. Add salt to taste.
If desired, garnish with some chopped, fresh greens for freshness and texture.
Serve hot or cold.
Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 62g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Potassium: 743mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1594IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 5mg