Chana Makhani with Greens
A velvet-smooth, nourishing and creamy curry, this Chana Makhani with Greens will make you lick your fingers and ask for more. Vegan, soy-free and gluten-free recipe.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 cup green or regular chickpeas. Soak overnight and cook until tender. You can also substitute with canned chickpeas.
- 3 cups of frozen spinach. Place the greens in a microwave-safe bowl, add a couple of tablespoons of water, and microwave for five minutes. Set aside.
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1- inch knob of ginger, julienned
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- ½ cup cashews, soaked in water for 30 minutes, then blended into a smooth paste with ½ cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
Heat the oil.
Add the mustard seeds and fennel seeds. When the mustard sputters, add the ginger and garlic, saute for a few seconds, then add the onions and the bay leaves.
Add a generous pinch of salt and saute on a medium-low flame until the onion turns translucent.
Add the cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, green chillies, and turmeric. Stir well.
Add the cooked greens. mix well, and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat and cook for five minutes. Let it cool a little and then transfer to a blender and blend into a smooth paste. Be very careful handling the hot mixture. If you have an immersion blender, this is good time to break it out.
Add the greens paste back to the pan with the cooked chickpeas. Turn on the heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Add water if it's too dry. Add the cashew cream, the lemon juice, and salt to taste.
Serve hot with rice or phulkas.
Calories: 167kcal | Protein: 6.9g | Fiber: 5.6g