Lentil and Pasta Salad
This is my favorite recipe for a smoky, rich, satisfying and delicious vegan Lentil Pasta Salad made with orzo pasta and puy lentils. It is vibrantly flavored with garlic, oregano, cumin and cinnamon, and is packed with veggies.
Servings: 8 servings
- 12 ounces orzo (cooked until al dente)
- 2 cups puy lentils (cooked or canned)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into a small dice)
- 1 stalk celery (cut into a small dice)
- 8 cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms, finely chopped)
- 4 plum tomatoes (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper and salt to taste
Drain the soaked lentils and place in a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the lentils by an inch, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer. Let the lentils cook until they are perfectly tender but still holding their shape. This should take anywhere between 10-15 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the onions, carrots and celery. Season with salt and pepper and saute for about five minutes or until the vegetables start to soften.
Add the mushrooms, plum tomatoes, oregano, paprika, cumin and cinnamon. Saute until the tomatoes start to soften, about five minutes.
Add the cooked, drained lentils with a cup of water or the cooking liquid. Bring the sauce to a boil, cover and cook for 10 more minutes over medium-low heat.
Add the cooked orzo pasta and parsley and stir well. Turn off the heat.
Serve hot, warm or cold. It's delicious every way.
Calories: 374kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 27mg | Potassium: 381mg | Fiber: 18g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3275IU | Vitamin C: 14mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 5mg