Tofu Paneer Bhurji
Paneer Bhurji is a popular Indian restaurant dish made with the Indian cheese, paneer. For this vegan Tofu Paneer Bhurji, tofu and a secret ingredient replace the creamy cheese, and the result is just as delicious. Add bell peppers and tomatoes for more flavor and healthfulness.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 14- oz pack firm tofu. Place the tofu in a colander and cover with a paper napkin. Place a heavy weight on top and leave it alone for 15 minutes to drain out any excess water from the tofu. Don't worry if the tofu crumbles a bit-- you are going to crumble it anyway.
- 12 cashew nuts, soaked in 1/2 cup of water for 30 minutes, then blitzed into a smooth paste
- 1 medium red onion, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, minced
- 1 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the onions and saute until they start to brown.
Add the garlic and ginger. Saute for a minute, then add the green peppers, coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric and paprika. Stir to mix and add the tomato puree.
Cook, stirring frequently, until the tomato puree is thick and a few shades darker.
Crumble the tofu and add it to the saucepan. Stir well to mix,
Cook the mixture on medium heat for about five minutes, stirring frequently.
Add the cashew cream and salt to taste. Turn off heat.
Stir in the coriander leaves and lemon juice. Serve hot with naan.
Calories: 95kcal | Carbohydrates: 7.7g | Protein: 5.6g | Fat: 5.4g | Fiber: 2g