Vegan Carrot Bundt Cake with Cashew Cream Cheese Frosting
This vegan carrot bundt cake with cashew cream cheese frosting is about as delicious as cake gets. It has a moist, tender crumb, thanks to applesauce and the carrots, and it's all whole wheat. The gorgeous cashew cream frosting is sweetened with maple syrup.
Servings: 16 servings
For the carrot cake:
- 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (you can substitute with half and half of unbleached all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or pink salt
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup coconut oil (or another vegetable oil)
- 2 cups applesauce
- 2 packed cups grated carrots
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts (lightly roasted, chopped)
For the cashew cream cheese frosting:
- 1 cup raw cashews (soaked overnight)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup nondairy milk
Make the carrot cake:
In a bowl, sift and whisk together the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add and mix salt, cinnamon and sugar.
In a larger bowl, mix the wet ingredients: oil, applesauce, carrots, and vanilla extract.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet in two batches, mixing well after each addition and scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl with a spatula. Stir in the walnuts.
Scrape all the batter into the bundt pan evenly, and straighten the top out with a spatula.
Place in the preheated oven and bake for 65-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cool on a rack in the bundt pan for 30 minutes, then turn upside down to unmold the cake. It should slide right off. Continue cooling the cake.
Make the cashew cream cheese frosting:
Place the soaked, drained cashews in a blender, add the remaining ingredients, and blend until very smooth.
Drizzle over the cooled cake using a spatula or spoon.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 411kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 23g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 179mg | Potassium: 263mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 32g | Vitamin A: 48IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 52mg | Iron: 2mg