Vegan Pasta with Bean Ragout
This delicious Pasta with Bean Ragout is incredibly nutritious with whole wheat fettuccine, two kinds of beans, greens, carrots, onions and tomatoes. Rosemary and red pepper flakes weave in smoke and spice.
Servings: 8 servings
- 16 oz fettuccine
- 1½ cups kidney beans (canned or cooked, and drained)
- 1½ cups cannellini beans (or any white beans, canned or cooked and drained)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium carrots (finely diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (smashed and minced)
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes (sub with two fresh tomatoes)
- 5 cups baby spinach (packed. Can use spinach or kale instead)
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ cup white wine (optional)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dry)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
If using dry beans, soak them in hot water for an hour or cold water overnight. Pressure cook or cook on stovetop until they are tender. If cooking on the stovetop, cover the beans with at least an inch of water, bring to a boil, cover and cook for 60-90 minutes or until tender. Keep an eye on the beans and add more water if the beans dry up during cooking.
Cook the pasta until al dente in salted water.
While the pasta cooks, heat half the olive oil in a large saucepan.
Add the chopped onion, bay leaves, and some salt and saute for about 5 minutes or until the onions turn translucent. Don't let them brown.
Add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
Add the carrots and wine, if using, and saute for another five minutes.
Add the beans and tomatoes and a cup of the beans' cooking liquid or water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 7-8 minutes. Add the rosemary and stir it in.
Add the cooked pasta and greens and mix well. Turn off the heat.
Add some ground black pepper to taste and more salt, if needed.
Calories: 334kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 48mg | Potassium: 558mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4483IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 4mg