One Pot Mujadara with Leeks
This one pot mujadara with leeks and greens checks all boxes: it has the healthy goodness of lentils, rice, and beans, it is a mess-free recipe that comes together in minutes, and it is absolutely delicious. Vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, and nut-free.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 leeks, cleaned thoroughly. Trim the roots and slice the white and green parts into thin ribbons (use a large onion if you can’t find leeks)
- 1 cup brown lentils (whole masoor, sabut masoor).
- ¾ cup basmati or other long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice powder
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-inch stick of cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups leafy greens(use any combination of vegetables. I used 3 cups of spring greens and 1 cup of baby spinach). You can chop larger leaves into smaller bits.
Place the lentils in a large pot and add enough water to cover by an inch. Place the pot on the stove and when the water boils, cover and cook the lentils for seven minutes. Drain immediately and reserve.
Heat the oil in the same pot. Add the leeks and a pinch of salt and saute, stirring, over medium-high heat until the leeks start to caramelize.
Remove half the leeks to a bowl and set aside.
To the pot with the remaining leeks, add the garlic and bay leaves, stir for about 30 seconds, and then add the cumin, allspice and cayenne. Stir for a few seconds to coat with the oil and then add the rice. Saute for a few seconds until the rice turns opaque.
Add the drained lentils, cinnamon, and salt to taste. Stir well, then add 4 cups of water.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to low until the water just simmers. Place a tight-fitting lid on the pot and let it steam away for 15 minutes.
Open the pot, arrange the greens on top in an even layer, cover, and cook for five more minutes. Turn off the heat.
Let the mujadara stand at least 10 minutes before opening the pot. Garnish with the reserved leeks and serve hot.
Calories: 133kcal | Protein: 3.8g | Fat: 2.9g | Potassium: 199mg | Fiber: 1.7g | Vitamin A: 3100IU | Vitamin C: 10.7mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1.8mg